Meet Your Candidates
Since taking office in November of 2021, and under my leadership, we have made significant strides in preparing for East Haddam's future. Your vote this November will allow us to build upon our progress and ensure the continued prosperity of our community. Here are some of the key achievements and initiatives we've undertaken:
• Supporting Vulnerable Citizens: We have implemented policies to provide extended tax relief to elderly and disabled citizens, demonstrating our commitment to the well-being of all residents. Additionally, we have fostered partnerships with organizations like Youth & Family Services to offer comprehensive social services to our residents.
• Public Safety Enhancements: In addressing public safety concerns, we have rapidly expanded police coverage to address theft and vandalism. We've also worked diligently to address DUI incidents, speeding, and overall crime rates. Notably, we've acquired a new police boat without any additional burden on taxpayers patrolling our lakes. We secured a $1,000,000 grant to procure a front-line firefighting and rescue apparatus, the Quint. AEDs have been installed in all public buildings to enhance safety.
• Infrastructure and Road Improvements: We have improved miles of roads and added new sidewalks to enhance the town's infrastructure. Additionally, a newly established partnership with the CTDOT has successfully led to improvements on state roads, particularly in addressing drainage issues to mitigate icy conditions.
• Fiscal Responsibility: Our commitment to efficiency is evident through the introduction of zero-based budgeting. During the recent challenging budget season, we successfully reduced expenses by over half a million dollars while maintaining all essential town services. We have also increased transparency and accountability in cash handling and check issuing procedures.
• Grant Success: I am proud to say our town has been awarded nearly $2,600,000 in grant money in addition to the ARPA funds. These funds have supported various programs, including Parks & Rec, Library initiatives, senior meals, public safety equipment and personnel, document and cemetery preservation, our high school track, and more -- all without any additional burden on taxpayers.
• Economic Development: We are dedicated to furthering economic development in East Haddam Village and Moodus. The Redevelopment Agency is actively assessing brownfields with the assistance of received grant funding. We are also exploring TIF financing opportunities to save money for our residents. Zoning changes have been made in Moodus creating a more full-service, pedestrian-friendly environment.
• Sustainability Initiatives: Our commitment to sustainability is demonstrated through the future installation of solar panels on our Municipal Office Complex and energy-efficient upgrades to town buildings, removing a buried oil tank from our high school and replacing it with an eco-friendly above-ground tank. We have instituted food scrap composting, building a more sustainable town while saving money. Our Conservation Commission, embracing ResiliencyCT, is working with state partners for flood mitigation as we develop our Village.
• Community Enhancements: We have established Veterans Memorial Green with a new gazebo and introduced Riverview Park in the Village for everyone to enjoy. Our website is now mobile-friendly, and we are working towards expanding broadband coverage and addressing cell tower dead spots.
• Town of Character: East Haddam's rural character is a treasured aspect of our community. My family and I have proudly called this town home for over 27 years, and we have seen our two daughters grow and thrive here. But the true strength of our town lies in its people, their creativity, resilience, and compassion.
I am deeply honored to have served as your First Selectwoman for the past two years, and I humbly ask for your vote this November. I am committed to working tirelessly on your behalf, preserving our heritage, addressing current needs, and safeguarding our future. Together, we can continue to make East Haddam a place we are all proud to call home.
I was born, raised, educated and have a deep vested interest in East Haddam. I am honored to be the grandson of Bill & Dottie, son of Oscar & Ruth, husband of Denise and father to Nick & Alyssa.
For the past 30+ years I have been employed by Consumers Reports Auto Test Center and as Facilities Manager since 2007. In this role, I oversee the day-to-day operations of the facility, operational & capital budgets as well as, any related capital projects.
In my tenure as a lifelong resident of East Haddam, I have served or am currently serving on the following:
• Selectman-1 Term
• Planning & Zoning Commission – 1 Term
• Park & Rec soccer coach – multiple years
• Election Day pole volunteer
•Past Vice Chairman of the East Haddam Republican Town Committee
•Member of the Municipal Office Building Committee
•President of The Waterhole Cemetery Association
•Parishioner of St. Bridget of Kildare-Past Parish Counsel member
•Managing partner of Cloverdale Farm Assocociates LLC.
I am a fiscal conservative who believes transparency, accountability and a firm handshake are still valued commodities. I believe that residents of East Haddam deserve a strong voice in their local government, and I passionately believe that at the end of each day, it’s okay to question who, why and what for. In my “spare” time I enjoy spending as many hours as possible with my family, helping out on the family farm, reading American Revolutionary Era history and researching centuries of family genealogy.
Board of Finance
As a lifelong resident of Moodus, I consider it a tremendous honor to serve our community on
East Haddam’s Board of Finance. Being raised in a blue-collar home, I learned the importance of integrity and small-town principles, as well as the lost art of “New England Frugality.”
My career path started in the trades, prior to pivoting to healthcare administration, and then finally finding my true calling in accounting. I have lived the American dream by becoming the first member of my family to earn a bachelor’s degree and being the proud father of three beautiful children whom we have chosen to raise in East Haddam. My unique path through life helps me to bring many intangible skills to the Board of Finance and helps to keep me grounded in East Haddam values as I serve our community.
I have been privileged to serve on both the board’s Communication and Long-Range Capital Committees. In four short years, our board has navigated once in a lifetime chaos caused by Covid-19 and rampant inflation, keeping town expenses manageable while communities around us see increases in their budget three and four times higher than what we have been able to accomplish.
Finally, I consider serving the community an enormous honor, and have worked hard to keep myself accountable to my fellow residents. I will continue to prioritize service to our community and protecting your hard-earned tax dollars in a second term, and I humbly ask for your support in this year’s election.
As the current town Treasurer, I have worked hard for the last 2 years to advocate for the people of East Haddam and to identify the purpose and use of each town bank account. I have made sure that income is deposited in a timely manner and debt payments are on schedule. I have been working with the town’s financial advisor to make sure investment funds are managed and disbursed according to policy.
I earned a bachelor’s degree in Accounting from Central Connecticut State University and an MBA with a concentration in Finance & Management from the University of Connecticut. I currently work as a Fiscal Administrative Supervisor for the State of Connecticut managing over $250 million in federal grants.
Using my 20+ years of accounting experience in the public and private sector, I have increased transparency in the check signing process, ensuring that the Town Treasurer would have access to the name of each and every check payee. I investigated and streamlined the town bank accounts, corrected check signers and even closed one account - returning a 20 year bond to the original bond depositor. I’ve drafted a Cash Handling Policy to ensure that revenue is deposited quickly – maximizing interest income. I’ve created a process so that account interest is disbursed automatically on an annual basis used for operational expenses saving taxpayers money.
I have lived in East Haddam for 26 years with my husband Bryan, raising our 3 children Noah, Nathaniel, and Abigail here. I have been an active member of the community volunteering as a Girl Scout Leader, a St Bridget’s CCD teacher, a PTO and MPAC volunteer, a Little League coach and a member of the CERT team. I have also run several blood drives in town
My knowledge and experience works for East Haddam and I ask for your vote to be re-elected on Nov 7th.
Board of Education
I have been a resident of East Haddam for 5 years now. I have 4 children, ages 11, 6, 4 and 2. I work in Chester, CT as Production Manager for an Aerospace Machine company for almost 20 years.
If I am elected as a BOE member, I will be focused on the following values:
1. Sports Activities & Academic Achievements - Sports bring focus and certain disciplines important for growth. Grades, honors, awards and competitive results. Contributions to the community. All a result of the engagement in a students life!
2. Fiscal Responsibility - Total transparency is very important and we need more of this. More isn’t always better, but we cannot short change faculty. We need to focus on efficiency/correct resource allocation. I come from a production background, I understand where waste can hide.
3. Curriculum - We need to get back to the basic fundamentals of teaching, reading,
writing, arithmetic, science, and history - including the constitution.
I believe that personal beliefs should be left at the door and left up to the parents. Our teachers are great and should be there to educate.
My name is Keira Thompson. I’ve been an East Haddam resident for 7 years. I have two boys who are in the elementary school and a wonderful husband who supports all my town involvement. I am a proud member of our town’s Board of Education.
Over the past two years of being on the East Haddam Board of Education, I’ve been an active participant not missing any meetings. I serve on two subcommittees; Business & Planning and Personnel & Negotiations. I have helped successfully expand our school security program from one School Resource Officer (SRO) to the SRO with two School Security Officers (SSO). I thoroughly read existing school contracts which helped me implement lettering our school buses with East Haddam lettering on the sides. I have helped negotiation two contracts; the East Haddam Administrators’ Association (EHAA) and the United Public Service Employees Union (UPSEU). If I become town clerk, I intend on staying on the BOE until a new superintendent is hired and the transition is successful.
I am committed to the town of East Haddam. I love this town and have built my forever home here on a beautiful piece of property. I am youthful yet experienced. I have a bachelors degree in business management. I have owned my own business for 10 years and have a total of 18 years of customer service experience. If I become town clerk, I intend to run for reelection in the future.
I have experience with property transfers and searches, hunting/fishing licenses, and I am a notary. Thank you for reading this! I appreciate your support and hope for your continued support for this election and future elections.
“Here for East Haddam today, tomorrow, and in the future.”
Board of Education
My name is Stephen Trojan and I am running for the 4 year term on the Board of Education. I have been a proud member of the East Haddam community for the last 9+ years along with my wife and 3 children. I have watched as my boys have received great opportunities and education here.
I am running for the Board of Education to give back to the community. I have spent over 25 years working with children of all ages and in many capacities. I am currently the Science and Robotics coordinator at Westbrook Public Schools. I am working on developing curriculum and budgets for the Science and Robotics program. Currently, I am also a soccer coach here in East Haddam.
Prior to that I was a third grade teacher in Westbrook and have taught in other public schools throughout the state. I have worked in public and independent schools as well as serving as the director of a local nature center where I wrote grants, created budgets, developed curriculum, and worked with students all over the state. In the Independent School setting I also served as a co-director for the outdoor education program and focused on team building and trips throughout the country. Previously, I have served as an elected member on the Region 4 Board of Education as well. I have also served as a coach for soccer, lacrosse, and basketball.
I have over 20 years of experience in education and hope to use my experience on your East Haddam Board of Education. I am running to keep our schools strong with emphasis on current curriculum, new opportunities for our students, and safety, while being fiscally responsible. I look forward to your vote on November 7th. Thank you.
Board of Education
I am an eight-year resident of East Haddam. I came to East Haddam pursuing my career and
decided East Haddam is where I want to build my life.
I was a public-school student and struggled to perform academically in my early years. As an
elementary school student, I was diagnosed with dyslexia and was fortunately able to get the help I needed to be competitive in the classroom. I was able to excel academically in high school and went on to graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineer from Union College.
I am currently a Senior Project Engineer at The Lee Company where I manage a variety of product lines for industries such as aerospace and oil tool. My role as a project engineer primarily focuses on the success of mission critical components from concept to release, these components are analogous to children in society. Starting a project, priorities need to be identified and monitored. Managing a project, details matter especially when it comes to the allocation of resources. Finishing a project, the boxes need to be checked to ensure the work done will meet the requirements of what comes next.
In my new role as father, I have spent a significant amount of time thinking about the world my children will have to navigate. An important part of that journey will be their education. Their education, along with that of every other child, should provide a section of the solid foundation they have to grow into productive members of society and should not undermine or question their ability to succeed. Their strengths should be recognized and fostered so their efforts are beneficial.
Joining the Board of Education is how I would like to use my strengths and experiences to
contribute to the community my family and I call home.
Planning and Zoning Commission
I’ve been a resident of the Town since 2007 and have served as a Planning and Zoning Commissioner for over 12 years and I have always voted in the best
interests of the citizens of East Haddam within our zoning regulations.
I served 3 years in the U.S Navy aboard a Submarine during the Cold War and Vietnam Era. After my discharge I went on to get my degree from The City
University of New York with a degree in Accounting.
Planning and Zoning
I am Toni Dumaine, a current alternate on East Haddam’s Planning and Zoning Commission. I was employed by the town of East Haddam for four years as Recording Secretary for this commission. I am familiar with planning and zoning procedures, regulations, and the Plan of Conservation and Development.
I advocate for green technology and conservation of our natural resources. I believe in the grassroots community effort; I support the Moodus Reservoir Preservation Group. I am also Vice President of the Property Owners Association of Moodus Lake Shores and support our local Farmers.
I recorded minutes for the Ray School Corporation Board of Trustees, an honorable group that promotes quality resources for our community. I love East Haddam’s rural New England charm and believe in repurposing existing structures. Most of all, I have personal and professional experience in caring for
elderly people suffering from various stages of Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, and remain a staunch advocate for Elder Justice.
Board of Assessment Appeals
As a resident and homeowner in East Haddam for over 18 years, I have a fully vested interest in understanding tax assessments of town properties. My experience as an assessment appeals board member has provided me with a clear understanding of the assessment process. I plan to continue to fairly and objectively valuate all home, auto, and personal property appeals for our town.
Member of the East Haddam Board of Assessment Appeals, 6 years
Senior Software Engineer, 24 years experience
PhD Computer Science & Engineering, UCONN
Adjunct Professor of Computer Science
Full time resident of East Haddam, 18 year
Married with 5 children
I have lived in the Moodus section of East Haddam for 18 years with my wife Betsy. I retired after a 46 year career as a high school teacher and principal.
I was elected to the Board of Library Trustees in 2017. I serve as the Board secretary and am a member of the Board’s Finance subcommittee. I served as chair of the Board’s Library Study Committee, and also was chair of the East Haddam New Library Study Committee. I have served on the East Haddam Board of Education.
I am also a member of the Board of Trustees of the East Haddam Historic Society. My wife and I are active members of St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church.
As an educator, I believe that libraries are the greatest institution for self-discovery and self-growth. I believe that libraries are the single greatest benefit that a town can offer to its citizens. I am committed to making the East Haddam Library System the best in Connecticut.
I ask for you continued support and vote on November 7th.
Juliana Tryon Ranaudo
I am running for the position of Library Trustee because I believe that libraries are one of the foundations of a community, offering people a place to communicate, to learn, to gather and to read. Libraries remain relevant and an asset to our community for citizens old and young alike. In East Haddam there is much discussion about our two libraries and their future. I will seek to support and contribute to practical solutions that balance fiscal responsibility with the importance of maintaining our vibrant
My free time is spent with my 5-year-old, travelling, and practicing yoga. As an East Haddam resident, with a background in liberal arts and a career as a project manager, I look forward to continuing to serve the town on the Library Board of Trustees.
*Board of Library Trustees
*Former Friends of Rathbun Memorial Library member
*Project Manager with over 10 years of experience in the financial sector
*Management experience with team members across 4 continents
*Fulbright Scholar recipient
*M.A., Contemporary European Studies, University of Bath, Humboldt
Universität zu Berlin
*B.A., Political Science, Manhattanville College
*Republican Deputy Registrar (2023)